Saturday, November 6, 2010

Methodology

            In showing that the 4-H sheep project is a community and has a distinct discourse known mainly by the members, I interviewed three members of the sheep project. Two of the members I chose to interview, Amne Brawner and Zach Canada, are tenure members to the sheep project as well. I chose to interview these two individuals because of their experience in the sheep project. Both have been out of 4-H for two years, but were known within the Jefferson County Fair because of their showmanship abilities and their awards. The third sheep project member I chose to interview is a current 4-H member. Kamille Brawner has been in 4-H for seven years and has completed the sheep project each of those seven years involved. I chose to interview this young lady because she is experienced and has been around the organization and the sheep project for many years. Both of the girl’s sisters were 4-H members in the sheep project. Both sisters have been out of 4-H for several years. Therefore, the current member has had experience in showing sheep and has been able to observe as an outsider when she was younger as she watched her sisters participate in the sheep project.
                I also interviewed one of the barn leaders to the sheep project. Mrs. Judy Smith has been one of the sheep project leaders for twenty years. Throughout the years, she has helped many 4-H members learn about the sheep project. Smith is also the owner of a sheep herd in which she breeds, raises, and sells sheep. Therefore, Smith can be referred to as a knowledgeable woman to the sheep project.   
                Along with conducting interviews, I will use observations that I have made and knowledge that I have gained throughout my ten years in the sheep project. Because I participated in the sheep project for ten years and received several awards including awards in showmanship, which allows a member to show a judge how much knowledge a showman has about the lamb and how to show a lamb, I may be considered an eligible source for the discourse and language to the sheep project. Over the course of my ten years in which I participated, I spent hundreds of hours sitting in the sheep barn listening to 4-H sheep members communicate with each other, watching how people take care of their sheep, and engaging in the conversations myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment